Tuesday 29 March 2011

The fourth of our talented designers!

Ready for a surprise?! Hiroko Nakajima’s work can’t fail to both shock and delight. Here’s some more information on the startling work of this fashion graduate…

Hiroko is Japanese, and studied in Switzerland, New York and Tokyo, before joining the BA in Fashion Design with Knitwear course at Central Saint Martins. She graduated in 2010 and is now studying an MA in Fashion Design (Knitwear) there.

Hiroko cites her home in Japan as her inspiration. ‘I took my inspiration from my old room... I left home for a while but my mother kept my room untouched. When I came back and opened the door of my room, I felt as though my belongings, which had been abandoned for years, came back to life and welcomed me back. I wanted to express the intimate relationship between an object and its owner.’

This inspiration is clearly evident in Hiroko’s graduate collection, which featured fantastical garments that stretch the boundaries of reality.

In this example a curtain rail comes to life in the form of a dress.

Hayley Sherratt

No comments:

Post a Comment